The town of Bouctouche was founded over 200 years ago on the hospitable shores of Bouctouche Bay.
Pointe à Jérôme, Pointe à Jacquot, Dixon’s Point — These fingers of land, jutting out among the many rivers and streams that wind their way through the landscape, were the first to be settled in the area. Its original Micmac name, Chebooktoosk, or “great little harbour”, accurately expresses the welcoming character of this tranquil setting.
François and Charlitte Leblanc arrived in the area on an exploratory mission in 1785. They were amazed at the abundance of food and ease at which the waters could be navigated. Four Acadian families joined them later that summer and, during the ensuing years, new families, from all across what is now known as southeastern New Brunswick gradually moved in.
During the 19th century the area also attracted immigrants from Ireland and Scotland, among them the forefathers of one of Bouctouche’s best-known sons, K.C. Irving.